Grandma Schultz' Grilled Bratwurst and Saurkraut
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- butter for sauteing
- 2 or 3 green tart apples peeled, cored and sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed, minced or chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds saurkraut (unwashed)
- pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley
- 1 c ketchup
- 1 can german beer
- 1 1/2 c water
How to Make Grandma Schultz' Grilled Bratwurst and Saurkraut
- 1Saurkraut: Sauté onion in butter until tender, add the apples and garlic. Add Sauerkraut and sauté for a few minutes. Add some water, the spices, and salt to taste.Simmer covered for 1/2 hour to 1 hour or until saurkraut is done. Add additional water during cooking if necessary. With 5 to ten minutes left to cooking add a 1 to 3 tablespoons of white wine to taste.
- 2Bratwurst: Grill bratwurst at medium heat until cooked through, this is about 20 to 30 minutes. Then mix beer, water and ketchup in saucepan big enough to add bratwurst to. Simmer the grilled brats in this mixture for 15 minutes. Then I usually return them to grill for a few minutes just to get em crisped up.
- 3Serve brats over kraut with a side of potatos and some good german mustard or horsradish sauce : )