Sausage Shephards Pie w/a Southern twist
It may not sound interesting, but it taste great.
- 2 lb
- sausage (2 rolls)
- 4 can(s)
- cream style corn
- 1 pkg
- small package of frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 box
- instant mashed potatoes (or homemade, 6-8 servings)
- 8-10 slice
- american cheese (or walmart brand fiesta cheese)
- chopped onion (diced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can(s)
- diced new potatoes (in canned vegetables)
- 3/4 stick
- butter, cold
- 1 1/2 c
- coffee creamer powder
- 2 1/2 qt. deep casserole dish (or the deep aluminum disposable pans)
How to Make Sausage Shephards Pie w/a Southern twist
- 1Brown up sausage into crumble in a med. skillet, drain off excess fat and set aside.
In a deep skillet (I use my 13" cast iron skillet, it always makes it taste better), melt butter, and brown up diced onions. Once onions are well browned, maybe even almost burnt, add in cream style corn, mixed vegetables, diced new potatoes, 1/2 cup of coffee creamer, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer this mixture on low/med heat, occasionally stirring until it cooks down some.
- 2I make sure to keep scraping the bottom of the skillet with a good spatula, the cream that is cooking to the bottom is what you want. I literally cook the water out of the corn and mixed vegetables, constantly going back and stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan. I even brown mine up just a little bit with some extra butter, but it depends on your personal preference. Play with it and see what you like better.
- 3According to directions on package mix up approximately 6-8 servings of instant mashed potatoes (or you can make homemade if you would prefer those.)
- 4Pour corn mixture in bottom of casserole bowl, add sausage crumble on top, add mashed potatoes, then top with sliced cheese and bake in a 350 degree oven until cheese is melted and golden brown. Remove from oven and serve hot or let stand for 15 minutes and serve warm.
**Note** Goes great with a sourdough roll or french style roll.