☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 lbground pork (907 g)
2 mediumpotatoes, peeled and grated
2 mediumonions, minced
1 1/2 tspsalt (7 ml)
1 tspsavory (5 ml)
1/4 tspground cloves (1 ml)
1 clovegarlic, minced
1/2 tspsage (2 ml)
1/2 cwater (125 ml)
2 cdry breadcrumbs (500 ml)
·pastry dough for 2 9-inch double crust pies
How to Make French Canadian Tourtiere
Prepare pastry dough for 2 - 9-inch double crust pies, seasoned with 1/4 tsp tumeric and 1/4 tsp savory.
- Roll out 1/2 pastry and fit into 9 x 13-inch rectangular baking dish OR 2 8-inch pie plates.
Place all filling ingredients except bread crumbs and egg in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir to blend.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in enough bread crumbs to absorb all excess moisture.
- Cool mixture and place in pie shell.
- Roll out remaining pastry and place on top of meat.
- Seal upper and lower crust and crimp edges.
- For added luster, brush pastry with water and egg mixture.
- Slit the crust well to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 400 degrees F, 30 - 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot with gravy.