Fluffy Meat and Veggie Loaf
- 1 lb
- ground chuck
- 1/2 lb
- ground fresh pork or sausage
- 3 slice
- soft bread- pulsed in the food processor to crumbs or 1 c. dry bread crumbs
- 1 c
- milk or 1 1/4 c. if using dry crumbs
- egg, beaten
- 1/4 c
- onion, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp
- salt (divided use)
- 1/4 tsp
- each : dry mustard, sage, celery salt, garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp
- worcestershire sauce
- 1 c
- mixture of any of the following finely chopped or shredded vegetables: carrot, celery, zucchini, spinach, potato, sweet peppers of any color, and/or summer squash.
- 3 Tbsp
How to Make Fluffy Meat and Veggie Loaf
- 1Finely chop or shred your choice of vegetables, place in a bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt. Let set for 10 -15 minutes and then squeeze any excess liquid out of the vegetables and discard liquid.
- 2In a large bowl, break up the meat, add crumbs, onion, the remaining 1 tsp salt, seasonings and squeezed vegetables. Beat the egg and add to bowl. Add about 3/4 of the milk and mix to determine if you need more liquid. (If you have a two tined meat fork, this is the place to use it for stirring. I have found that if I do not squeeze or "knead" the meat mixture, but rather kind of toss it together, it produces a softer, more tender loaf when cooked)
- 3Mix until WELL blended, Shape into a loaf, either in a loaf pan or on a rimmed baking sheet. Spread top with 3 Tbsp of Catsup if desired, and Bake at 350 degrees for 1- 1/2 hours until done.
Makes 6-8 servings.
- 4If using ALL beef for the meat mixture, substitute 1 Tbsp each of prepared horseradish and catsup for the mustard and sage.