Easy Sauerkraut and Sausages
5 slicebacon, diced
1 pkgof 5 fully cooked sausages (i use octoberfest brand)
124 oz jar of sauerkraut
1 pkgonion soup mix
3/4 cbeef or chicken broth
·rolls or hot dog buns (need at least 5 rolls)
·salt and pepper to taste
·mustard, if desired
How to Make Easy Sauerkraut and Sausages
- Brown diced bacon in large skillet. Use small amount of butter if needed. Once bacon is crisp, remove from skillet.
- Score the sausages with a knife (cut 2-3 shallow slits into two sides of each sausage). Place the sausages in the skillet and brown them in the bacon grease. Once browned, remove and set to the side.
- **If you like the vinegar flavor of the kraut, no need to rinse, but if you like a milder flavor, rinse the kraut in cold water.** Add sauerkraut to the skillet (there may be a small amount of bacon grease still in the skillet; if there is more than a teaspoon or so, remove excess). Add the onion soup mix, the broth and the bacon; add salt and pepper to taste. Toss together. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 5-10 minutes to heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Add sausages to the top of the kraut. Lower heat. Cook on low for about 20 minutes.
- Just before kraut is done, butter the insides of the rolls and broil in oven until toasted. Put mustard, a sausage and kraut into each bun and enjoy!