Easy Gourmet Sandwich
2 cdried figs, chopped
3/4 cbalsamic vinegar
3/4 lbmortadella, sliced thin (or bologna if you absolutely cannot find mortadella!)
8 ozasiago, sliced thin
4baked ciabatta rolls
·extra virgin olive oil
How to Make Easy Gourmet Sandwich
- I purchased my ciabatta rolls frozen from Publix bakery (because they only had 3 already baked ones left at the time). When I was ready to use them, I first baked them at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Once cooled, cut in half. If you don't want to do that...just buy already baked ciabatta rolls.
- Chop the figs so that you have 2 cups.
- In a small pot, stir together the figs, water, balsamic vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for approx 15-20 minutes.
- Let the fig mixture cool for approx 15 minutes, then puree it in a blender or food processor. Should only need about 30 seconds.
- Over medium-low heat, preheat a griddle, flat pan or heavy skillet.
- To assemble the sandwiches: spread approx 1 tablespoon of the fig puree on each bread half. Then layer the bottom bread half with cheese, meat,cheese...as much as you like. Cover with the top bread half.
- Brush the top of the sandwiches with olive oil, then place that side down on your heated pan. Cook for approx 3-4 minutes, until golden brown..and cheese begins to melt. Meanwhile brush the other side with olive oil. Flip the sandwich, and cook the other side approx 3-4 minutes. Serve and enjoy!