Dutch's EASY-EASY Porketta
Blue Ribbon Recipe
My mouth was watering all day smelling the aroma of all the different herbs and spices as this dish cooked in the crock pot. I couldn't wait to taste my first bite... and I wasn't disappointed! It is so tender and juicy. Give Dutch's Porketta a try for your next dinner! The Test Kitchen
1 Tbspdill weed (i used 2tsp fresh rosemary)
1 1/2 tspfennel seed (i cut this to 1tsp)
1 tspdried oregano
1 tsplemon pepper
1/4 tsponion powder
1/4 tspgarlic powder
1 tspsweet paprika (i upped this to 2tsp)
3-4 lbboneless pork roast or pork shoulder
1-2 cbroth (i used chicken)
1-2 Tbspolive oil
How to Make Dutch's EASY-EASY Porketta
- Start by rubbing the roast w/ Kosher Salt, then mix all the spices and if possible run through a coffee grinder.
- Add enough Olive Oil to the ground spices to make a thin paste and thoroughly coat the roast, rubbing it in. Put the roast into a Ziploc bag and into your reefer for at least 12hrs, 24 is better.
- Thick slices of onion in the bottom of your slow cooker, then lay the roast atop and pour the broth down the side. On low for 6hrs, then take out, let it rest 15min., slice and return to juices.
- I made gravy w/ the de-fatted juices and served with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Asparagus.
- This recipe was also recommended to be used with Turkey Breast and that's my next project. It was juicy, redolent of the spices, but not overpowered.