Because I don't like hot/spicey foods, I like to use a mild sausage with sage in it and very little Cayenne pepper.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 lbbulk sausage (italian, regular, mild, medium, hot)
2 bunchgreen onions (chipped - including greens)
5 ccooked rice (not minute rice). [3c rice/5c water]
4 largeeggs (scrambled)
How to Make Dirty Rice
- First start sausage cooking.
Then start rice cooking.
Scramble eggs after rice is done.
- Brown sausage in very large skillet (12" is tight. 14" is great).
Chop with spoon as cooks to make it smaller pieces. This works well as it cooks, even starting with a whole pound as 1 piece.
- Add chopped green onions. I've found the bunches to be smaller these days, so I tend to use 3 bunches, instead of 2. The green portion gives the dish color.
- Add scrambled eggs. Scramble so mostly yellow (for color). Turn heat down.
- Add most of rice. Keep some back to perfect taste.
- Add white pepper (keeps rice portion looking white),
Salt and Cayenne pepper.
- Taste. Add more salt or peppers OR more rice if it is already too spicey.