Because I don't like hot/spicey foods, I like to use a mild sausage with sage in it and very little Cayenne pepper.
- 1 lb
- bulk sausage (italian, regular, mild, medium, hot)
- 2 bunch
- green onions (chipped - including greens)
- 5 c
- cooked rice (not minute rice). [3c rice/5c water]
- 4 large
- eggs (scrambled)
- white pepper
- cayenne pepper
How to Make Dirty Rice
- 1First start sausage cooking.
Then start rice cooking.
Scramble eggs after rice is done.
- 2Brown sausage in very large skillet (12" is tight. 14" is great).
Chop with spoon as cooks to make it smaller pieces. This works well as it cooks, even starting with a whole pound as 1 piece.
- 3Add chopped green onions. I've found the bunches to be smaller these days, so I tend to use 3 bunches, instead of 2. The green portion gives the dish color.
- 4Add scrambled eggs. Scramble so mostly yellow (for color). Turn heat down.
- 5Add most of rice. Keep some back to perfect taste.
- 6Add white pepper (keeps rice portion looking white),
Salt and Cayenne pepper.
- 7Taste. Add more salt or peppers OR more rice if it is already too spicey.