This is an entirely homemade recipe for a great Pizza Pie. You can substitute the topping ingredients to include more veggies, chicken, ham, etc. I am basing this recipe on the one I made when I took this picture. Enjoy!
1FOR THE DOUGH:
1. In large bowl (use electric mixer if available) add 2 1/2 cups flour, yeast and salt. Stir to blend thoroughly. In small bowl combine HOT water, honey and oil until blended.
2. Add water mixture to flour mixture. Mix to blend, then beat at medium speed until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Stir in about 1/2 more flour to make soft dough.
3. Turn dough out onto floured board or pastry cloth. Knead until dough is smooth and and small bubbles form just under surface (8-10 minutes), adding just enough flour (up to 1/2 cup) to prevent dough from being sticky.
4. Turn dough into a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (30-40 minutes).Put dough onto a lightly floured surface, punch dough down, cover with inverted bowl and let rest 10 minutes.
5. Roll dough out and place in greased, deep dish pizza pan or a metal Large Pie Pan (I find that if you lightly sprinkle some cornmeal on the bottom it keeps dough from sticking and browns the bottom nicely). Stretch dough to fit pan.
2FOR THE SAUCE:
Dice onions and garlic, fry lightly in oil. Season with oregano, basil and pepper. Stir in tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, salt and sugar. Let simmer on low for about 20-25 minutes (or until sauce is thick).
Place mozzarella slices on the bottom, then cover with meat and vegetables, sauce, and another layer of meat and vegetables. I always like the pepperoni to be on top so it cooks well. Cover with shredded mozzarella then put a little bit of sauce (spoonfuls) over the cheese topping and bake at 450 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is nicely brown and bubbly.