Dee Dee's Swiss Ham & Potato Pot Pie
Diane Hopson Smith
There is just something about ham, swiss cheese, potatoes and cream that I love with a pinch of nutmeg. Nutmeg is optional but in my opinion adds to this dish.
Hope you enjoy!
2 largepotatoes, cubed small
2 largecarrots, peel & diced
1 stalk(s)celery, diced
2 Tbspall purpose flour
1 1/4 cchicken stock (can use broth)
1/2 cheavy cream
2 cham, cubed
4 ozswiss cheese, shredded
·salt and pepper to taste (go light on the salt, ham is salty)
1puff pastry sheet, thawed
How to Make Dee Dee's Swiss Ham & Potato Pot Pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray appropriate size baking dish with cooking spray such as PAM. I used a 9 X 9-in deep baking dish.
- Over a medium/low heat melt butter in large skillet; add onions. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add potatoes, carrots & celery; stir, cover and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to meduim; stir in flour and then add chicken stock. Stir until mixture thickens; remove from heat and then stir in cream, ham and swiss cheese. Season to taste. Go light on the salt (if you use it at all) as the ham is salty. Nutmeg is optional but adds a great flavor. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Roll pastry out to size of dish; lay on top of ham and potato mixture. Brush top with milk. Cut a few slits in pastry.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until pastry has puffed and lightly browned.