Cuban Style Pork Roast with Mojo Criollo AKA Lechon Asado con Mojo
7-8 lbpork leg or shoulder
1/2 colive oil, extra virgin
20 clovegarlic, minced
1 1/2 conion, sliced rings thin
2 csour orange or fresh lime juice
1/2 tspground oregano
1/2 tspparsley flakes
1/4 tspground cumin
How to Make Cuban Style Pork Roast with Mojo Criollo AKA Lechon Asado con Mojo
- THE NIGHT BEFORE:
For the Mojo: You will need a large bowl. In a large bowl, pour the sour orange juice or lime juice, oregano, salt, pepper, garlic and sliced onion into the bowl and stir.
- Mix the mojo ingredients and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Prepare pork leg by piercing pork with a sharp knife. Place pork leg, fat side up in large pan. Pour Mojo over and around pork, cover in aluminum foil, and let sit in refrigerator overnight. Reserve some of the mojo for basting.
- DAY OF ROASTING:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place the pork in a large open roasting pan with all the Mojo juices. With a large spoon, pour the juices all over the pork.
- Place the pan in the oven and reduce the temperature to 225 degrees F.
- Check pork occasionally and pour Mojo on sides over the roast pork with spoon.
- Using a meat thermometer, check the internal temperature, when it reaches about 195 degrees F, remove the pork from the oven.The outer skin should be a golden brown and crunchy. Place pork in a large serving pan and cover with aluminum foil. Wait a few minutes to let cool down, then either slice or fork shred and serve. Enjoy!