Cuban Sandwich & Midnight Sandwich (Cubano & Media Noche Sandwich)
- 1 large
- loaf of cuban bread, looks like italian or french bread but with a white crust cut loaf into three equal pieces and slice each in half
- 1 lb
- sliced ham from the deli. preferably serrano ham or your favorite ham
- 1 lb
- sliced pork roast from the deli
- 1 lb
- sliced good swiss cheese (must be swiss cheese)
- 1 jar(s)
- sliced dill pickles try to get the long pickle slices instead of the round.
- 1 jar(s)
- 1/4 stick
- soft butter
How to Make Cuban Sandwich & Midnight Sandwich (Cubano & Media Noche Sandwich)
- 1Heat a sandwich press to 350 degrees. If you do not have one a griddle will do fine. Heat the griddle. You will need a heavy object such as a cast iron fry pan or as I did for a long time. I had my husband find me a brick which I washed and rinsed real well. I dried it and then I wrapped it in heavy duty aluminum foil. Each time I would make Cuban sandwichs I used my foil coverd brick as a press. I finally got a George Foreman table top grill some years back and now I press my sandwhich in my George Forman grill. Now back to making the sandwiches.
- 2Take a loaf of Cuban bread and slice from one end to the other in half open the bread and spread some mustard on each side. Next take slices of ham and lay them all across the bread overlapping a little on each slice again take more slices of ham and cover the same slices you just laid out with a second layer of ham. Now take the sliced pork roast and do the same thing two layers all across. Some people like to do as many as three layers across. It depends on how hearty you like your sandwiches. Next take your swiss cheese slices and layer across the meat covering the whole sandwich. Last layer the pickles all over the cheese and close the sandwich.
- 3Now cut your sandwich evenly into three parts. With a pastry brush spread some soft butter over the entire surface of all three sandwiches turn over and do the same on the underside of the sandwich place on the hot sandwich press and grill for at least 3 minutes. You can open the grill and check to see if the sandwich is turning crispy golden brown when golden and the cheese is melted the sandwich is done.
- 4If using a hot griddle put the sandwich on the griddle and weigh it down with a heavy object like a cast iron pan or foil covered brick. when crispy on one side turn sandwhich over and do the other side. should be like three minutes on each side. Your sandwich should be 1/3 slimmer than when you put it on the grill it should be crispy and golden on both sides and the cheese should be melted. Cut diagonaly and serve.
- 5Follow the same procedure for the midnight sandwich. Buy sweet egg bread rolls slice in half and put the same ingredients as in the Cuban sandwich ham, pork roast, cheese and pickles with mustard on each side. Grill in the sandwich Press or on the griddle or the George Foreman table top grill. In the picture above the long sandwich is the Cuban and the darker one is the midnight. Pictured with the sandwiches are plantain chips. I am not good at picture taking but the cuban sandwich is also wide however it does not show how wide it is in the picture. Enjoy