- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 cups cubed challah bread
- 1 pound ham steak, cut into thick 1 inch long strips
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
How to Make Croque Madame
- 1for the Béchamel, melt butter in a small pan over medium heat. Once the butter phones, whisk in flour. Cook one minute.
- 2Whisk milk into saucepan in a thin, steady stream until completely combined, then whisk in Dijon and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Cook mixture until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3For the bread pudding, layer a third of the bread cubes in bottom of a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker. Ladle a third of the Béchamel over bread. Top with half of the ham and half of the Swiss cheese.
- 4Repeat layering on top with remaining bread cubes and Béchamel. Cover slow cooker and cook on high setting, 2 to 3 hours or low setting for 4 to 5 hours. Top with Gruyere during last 10 minutes of cooking to melt. Serve with sunny side up eggs. Makes 8 to 10 servings.