CHRISTMAS MORNING CASSEROLE
The photo is my own.
- slices of cubed bread (i use texas toast bread)
- pound of medium sharp shredded cheese
- cups of milk
- cups of ground ham, shrimp, crabmeat, mushrooms or crumbled bacon.
- stick of butter, melted
How to Make CHRISTMAS MORNING CASSEROLE
- 1THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS:
Use Pam spray and grease a 9X13 baking dish.
- 2Prepare the bread. I use frozen Texas toast bread. (easier to cube frozen, thaw slightly) You can use French bread if Texas toast is not available. Remove the crusts from the bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, and place the cubes in the baking dish.
- 3Top with the cheese. Beat the eggs and add to the milk and pour over the bread and cheese. Top with cooked ground ham, cooked sausage, shrimp, crabmeat, mushrooms or crumbled bacon, whatever you desire. (I've tried them all, and they are all yummy!) Pour the melted butter over all. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- 4CHRISTMAS MORNING:
Remove the casserole from the fridge, and heat it up slowly so your cold dish doesn't break. I let mine sit on the counter for about an hour and put it in the oven when I put it on pre-heat. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes to 45, depending on the heat of your oven and the altitude. High altitude may take almost an hour to bake. Check periodically with toothpick. When your casserole is done, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 10 minutes so when you cut it, it will come out of the dish in a square.
- 5Cook's Tip: My original recipe called for a whole stick of butter, but I found that 1/2 stick works just fine for us. This is a good recipe for you to make your own. If you have some favorite ingredients that you would like to see added for Christmas morning, have at it! Enjoy!