Chicarron en salsa de tomate/ Pork rind in a tomato sauce
1 Tbspolive oil
2-3 mediumfresh jalapenos- seeded, and diced
1/4 largewhite onion- sliced
1 can(s)28 oz. diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 lbchicharrones con puerco (pork rind with meat)
1 cwater, as needed
·salt to taste
How to Make Chicarron en salsa de tomate/ Pork rind in a tomato sauce
- Start by slicing onion, seeding and dicing jalapenos, and opening can of diced tomatoes.
- Break chicharron into 3x3" pieces, of whatever size you like.
- In heavy frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and jalapenos, and cook until onions start to turn tranlucent.
- Add tomatoes, stirring to mix. Cover. Allow to simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend tomato mixture until lumpy. If no immersion blender, carefully add to regular blender in small batches. Be careful not to get splashed and burned.
- Add chicharron and stir to cover completely. Cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until meat is softened, adding water as needed. (Those pieces without any meat will soften much faster than those with meat. Feel free to serve the latter to anyone who doesn't care for the meat, or just can't wait to eat!!!)
- I serve these with gently refried beans, rice, and a couple of avocado slices. Try an egg over easy with this for breakfast!! Yum.