CHEESEY SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH HAM
This is real comfort food!
- extra large russet potatoes sliced thinly
- 4-8 oz
- leftover smoked ham cut in 2" pieces
- 4 Tbsp
- 5 Tbsp
- 3 c
- 2 tsp
- dry mustard
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 oz
- sharp cheddar cheese, or...
- mix it up, use whatever cheese you like. swiss, monterray jack, asiago etc.
How to Make CHEESEY SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH HAM
- 1Melt butter in a saucepan, stir in flour until smooth. Add cold milk a little at a time whisking to avoid lumps.
Cook over medium high heat stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking for 1 minute. Turn heat off and stir in the cheese, salt, pepper and mustard.
- 2In a greased 9x9 casserole dish spread 2-3 tablespoons of sauce in the bottom.
Place a single layer of potatoes over sauce. Randomly place ham pieces over potatoe layer and cover with a thin layer of cheese sauce.
Repeat the layers until all the potatoes have been used- I usually have 3 layers.
Spread any remaining sauce over the top.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake @ 350 for one hour.
Check that the potatoes are tender by inserting a sharp paring knife in several places.
It should slide in and out easily with little resistance.
Remove the foil and continue cooking until top is browned, about 15-20 minutes.