CHEESE AND SMOKED HAM IN A PUFF PASTRY
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. puff pastry, cut into 2 equal pieces
- 1⁄2 lb. raclette, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb. smoked ham, thinly sliced
How to Make CHEESE AND SMOKED HAM IN A PUFF PASTRY
- 1Preheat oven to 375°. Combine egg yolk and 1 tbsp. of the creme fraiche in a small bowl. Set aside.
- 2To make bechamel sauce, melt butter in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 2 minutes. Combine remaining creme fraiche and milk in a bowl and gradually whisk into pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- 3Roll out pastry into two 8" × 11" rectangles, 1⁄2" thick. Place 1 sheet of dough on a baking sheet. Leaving a 1⁄2" border, prick dough with a fork. Layer cheese over dough and cover with ham slices. Spread bechamel sauce over ham. Brush pastry edges with egg wash. Cover with second sheet of pastry, sealing borders with a fork. Score pastry with a small, sharp knife. Coat with egg wash and bake until golden, 20-25 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.