Chasen's Famous Chili
- 1/2 lb
- dried pinto beans
- water for covering the beans
- cans 14 1/2 oz each of tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 1 lb
- green bell peppers, seeded & chopped
- 1 1/2 lb
- onion, chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 c
- parsley, finely chopped
- 1 stick
- 2 1/2 lb
- lean ground beef
- 1 lb
- ground pork
- 1/3 c
- chili powder
- 2 tsp
- salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- ground cumin
PREPARING THE BEANS
AFTER COOKING BEANS 2 TO 2 1/2 HOURS
THEN YOU CAN SAUTE IN FIRST SKILLET
SECOND SKILLET THE MEAT MIXTURE
How to Make Chasen's Famous Chili
- 1PREPARING THE BEANS: Rinse Pinto Beans in a bowl & add enough Water so that it extends 2 inches above beans. Allow to soak overnight.
- 2Rinse off Beans & using FRESH WATER, never mind what recipe says about using that old beanie water, add the beans to fresh water into a large stock pot. Bring to boil & simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I would add water as needed if the water level gets too low.
- 3AFTER COOKING THE BEANS 2 TO 2 1/2 HOURS: Add the Tomatoes & simmer for 5 minutes.
- 4THEN YOU CAN SAUTE IN THE FIRST SKILLET: Heat Vegetable Oil, in a large skillet & saute Green Bell Peppers slowly for 5 minutes. Add the Onion & cook until tender, stirring frequently. Add Garlic Cloves, & Parsley.
- 5SECOND SKILLET THE MEAT MIXTURE: in a second large skillet, melt the Butter & saute the Ground Beef & Ground Pork for 15 minutes. (get er done). Add Meat Mixture to Beans in the stock pot.
- 6SEASONINGS: Season with the Salt, Pepper, & Cumin. Uncover & cook 30 minutes longer. Skim fat off top. (easier to do this part once you put into the refrigerator, as the fat will congeal up and can be easily scooped off). This freezes rather well.
- 7Browsing the Internet about Chasen's Chili and saw one recipe that used the SAME SKILLET that the veggies were sauteed in to cook the meat with the butter. Hey, if you have room in that skillet you aren't going to hurt a thing. Oh, said Liz liked to have this chili shipped around the world to every set she was working at.