Char Siu Pork
1/3 cbrown sugar
1/3 choisin sauce
2 Tbsplow-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbspshaoxing wine
2 Tbspoyster sauce
1 tspsesame oil
2 Tbsppressed garlic
1 tspchinese 5 spice powder
1/2 tspwhite pepper
2 1/2 lbpork belly
How to Make Char Siu Pork
- Combine all ingredients in a shallow bowl; whisk well. Place pork in a re-sealable plastic bag and add 2/3rds of the marinade; reserve 1/3rd for basting the next day. Close the bag and massage sauce into meat until well coated. Place bag in a pie plate and transfer to the fridge for 24 hours, flipping occasionally. Refrigerate the reserved marinade as well.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Remove basting sauce and meat from the fridge. Place pork on a wire rack sitting on a baking sheet lined with foil. Transfer to the preheated oven, pour water in the pan and roast for 1 hour.
- 30 minutes later, flip meat over, add more water if needed, rotate the pan and cook for the remaining 30 minutes.
- When time is up, carefully remove the pan from the heat and baste pork with reserved marinade. Return to the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- 10 minutes later, carefully remove from the heat, flip meat and baste it again. Return the pan for an additional 10 minutes.
- When time is up, remove from the heat and brush on the remaining marinade. Let the pork sit for 20 minutes before slicing.
- Note: Transfer the unused cooked pork to the fridge if using in the next 48 hours otherwise freeze for later use.