- 2 cans (1 lb. each) refried beans
- 1 small bottle or can beer
- 1 pkg. of 12 corn tortillas (and oil for frying tortillas)
- 1/2 head lettuce, shredded
- 2 to 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 lb. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 small can mexican hot sauce or sauce for tacos (preferably containing little or not vinegar)
How to Make Chalupas
- 1Empty the refried beans into a pan and heat slowly. Stir often and thin with beer until the beans are the consistency of soft mashed potatoes.
- 2Meanwhile, pour the oil into a skillet to a depth of 1/4 to 1/2". Fry 12 tortillas quickly 1 at a time, turning once, until crisp. Drain on paper towels or have ready to precooked tortillas.
- 3Drain on paper towels or have ready to precooked tortillas. Spread the hot beans over the tortillas. Top with a mound of shredded lettuce, a tablespoon of chopped tomatoes, a spoonful of shredded cheese and Mexican hot sauce or sauce for tacos to taste. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Makes 1 dozen
Source: My Old Recipes