- 1 lb
- ground beef
- 1 lb
- ground mild pork sausage or pork pizza sausage
- medium onion, chopped
- green pepper, chopped
- 3 1/2 oz
- pkg. pepperoni slices, chopped
- 28 oz
- can crushed tomatoes
- 26 1/2 oz
- jar spaghetti sauce
- 16 oz
- jar mild salsa
- 4 oz
- can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 10 oz
- pkg. pepperoncini peppers, drained and sliced
- 16 oz
- medium shell pasta, cooked
- 1 c
- grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 c
- shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
How to Make Cavatini
- 1Cook ground beef, pork, onion, and green pepper in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until meat browns and crumbles. Drain well; set aside.
- 2Combine pepperoni, crushed tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, salsa, mushrooms, and pepperoncinis in a large bowl. Mix together. Stir in meat mixture and cooked pasta.
- 3Spoon half of mixture into 2 lightly greased 11x7 inch baking dishes. Sprinkle EACH pan with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining pasta mixture.
- 4Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining cheeses, as done before. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes, until chees is melted.
- 5NOTE: Unbaked casseroles may be frozen up to 3 months (freeze topping cheeses separately). Thaw in refrigerator 24 hours; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Then bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, sprinkle with cheeses, bake an additional 5-10 minutes.
Also, I have used two 9x13 inch pans. Your layers will just be spread much thinner.