CANTONESE ROAST PORK (CHAR SIU)
Jo Anne Sugimoto
How to Make CANTONESE ROAST PORK (CHAR SIU)
- In a large bowl, mix together the rice wine, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, hoisin sauce and chinese five-spice powder.
- Rub pork belly with marinade mixture and marinate for 2 to 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Rub excess marinade of the pork belly, not all of it. Place the pork belly in a roasting pan and roast it for 40 - 45 minutes.
- Flip the pork belly over after 20 minutes and brushing honey on the surface.
- The pork belly is done when the outsides begin to crisp and blacken and the center of the pork belly feels as firm as a tight fist.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes then transfer to a cutting board and slice into thin pieces.
- Serve with rice or noodles, or with won ton soup.