Best City Chicken
Pork is still relatively inexpensive and this is still an old fashion comfort food from days gone by.
My family loves this recipe and I make it quite often in the colder months. Served with mashed potatoes and Heinz pork gravy-which is fat-free- and a salad and vegetable. Delish!
2 lbboneless pork, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
144 inch wooden skewers
2 citalian bread crumbs
2 cvegetable oil for frying
1 tspsalt and pepper / or to taste
2 tspgarlic powder
1 tsponion powder
How to Make Best City Chicken
- Thread 2-4 cubes of pork onto each skewer; sprinkle each skewer on all sides with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder and set them aside.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a bowl. Place the seasoned bread crumbs in another dish. Pour 2cups of water into a 9X13X2 inch baking dish with a wire rack set in the dish and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (175 degrees C.). Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large, deep skillet to 350 degrees F.
- Dip each skewer of pork into the egg mixture, then dip in crumbs; dip the skewers a second time into egg mixture and then crumbs. Gently lay the skewers, a few at a time into the hot oil, and brown until the coating is crisp and golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Set the fried ones aside while you finish the rest. Once they are all browned, set them on the wire rack in the baking dish. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Carefully place the baking dish with skewers into the pre-heated overn and bake until hot and no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 10 minutes more to dry the crumb coating so that it is crispy. Serve hot.