Beer Brat Skewers with Spicy Slaw
I wanted to find recipes that would be pleasing to my sons as they are picky eaters, I think this one is a winner. Happy grilling everyone.
- 4 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. packed brown sugar
- salt, pepper and 1/4th tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ head cabbage
- ½ c. beer
- 2 tsp. lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 medium onions
- 2 large red peppers
- 6 fully cooked bratwurst sausages
How to Make Beer Brat Skewers with Spicy Slaw
- 1In large bowl, stir 3 tablespoons vinegar, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper until sugar dissolves. Add cabbage; toss to coat. Let stand.
- 2Prepare grill for direct grilling on medium-low.
- 3In 3-quart saucepan, combine beer, soy sauce, and remaining 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper. Heat to boiling on medium-high, stirring. Reduce heat to maintain simmer and cook 15 minutes or until reduced to 1/3 cup, stirring often.
- 4While sauce simmers, cut onions, peppers, and sausages into 1-inch chunks; thread onto skewers. Grill 10 to 12 minutes or until onions are tender and grill marks appear on sausages, turning occasionally. Brush two-thirds of sauce all over skewers and grill 5 minutes or until sauce caramelizes, turning. Transfer to serving plates; brush with remaining sauce. Serve with slaw.