Baked Pork Chops and Sauerkraut!
This is Polish Comfort Food to the Max!!!
One of our favorite Polish meals.
*** This is a photo of my hero grandfather Frank Bernard "Barney" Sullivan
- 6 -8 large
- 1-2 - inch thick boneless pork chops
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 large
- onions (diced)
- 1 - 2 tsp
- caraway seeds (optional)
- 1/2 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 2 can(s)
- (15-ounces or more) sauerkraut
- 3 large
- apples, granny smith (cored and sliced)
- ground cinnamon (for dusting the apples very lightly)
How to Make Baked Pork Chops and Sauerkraut!
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Brown the pork chops in a skillet (do not burn!). Place in a buttered baking pan, set aside.
- 3Core and cut apples into round slices. Place slices of apple over the pork chops. Dust apple slices lightly with cinnamon. Set aside.
- 4In the same skillet: Add butter and some of the sauerkraut juice. Stir the pan well to get the drippings. Add the onions to the skillet and cook to translucent (do not burn! add water if needed for a little moisture). Add the sauerkraut, ground black pepper and caraway seeds. Stir together well and heat through.
Put a layer of sauerkraut over the apple slices in the pork chop pan.
Put another layer of apple slices over the sauerkraut. Next put the remaining sauerkraut over the apple slices.
- 5Bake covered for 40 minutes. Remove covering from pan and bake 10 more minutes uncovered.
- 6***Serve with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob.