Baked Pasta with Sausage and Peppers
- 1 1/2 lbs. mild italian sausae, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 can diced tomatoes in puree, 28 oz.
- 1 can tomato puree, 15 oz
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated romano cheese
How to Make Baked Pasta with Sausage and Peppers
- 1Preheat oven to 400.
- 2In nonstick pan, cook sausage over medium high heat til browned, stirring occasionally. Drain fat, then reduce heat to medium.
- 3Add onion, peppers and garlic, cook for about 10 minutes or til vegetables are tender. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato puree and 1/4 tsp. salt. Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, bring pot of water to a boil with dash of salt. Add pasta and cook til almost done. Drain pasta, return to pot and stir in the sauce and mozzarella.
- 5Note: Mom used to doctor her sauce with oregano, basil, and a splash of wine.