Moist Baked Ham w/Pineapple
- large bone in picnic ham (smoked or fresh)
- 2- 12oz bottle
- pepsi cola
- 3 can(s)
- pineapple tidbits or chunks
- 2 Tbsp
- spicy brown mustard (this is just a guesstimate, i usually squeeze it in till i have a half dollar size mound)
- 1 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
How to Make Moist Baked Ham w/Pineapple
- 1I generally start baking my ham very late at night, or really early in the morning say around 6am. I bake it in a 250 degree oven, and I let it cook for a few hours. You are probably saying to yourself, that is too long for a ham to cook or a smoked ham especially. Trust me, it comes out delicious.
- 2Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Place ham in large deep roasting pan. (If you purchased a ham that has a flat side, DO NOT put flat side down, this will cause the ham to burn and be very dry.) Pour both bottles of Pepsi over the ham. Cover with heavy duty aluminum foil, sealing it tight around the edges, put on lid. Place in oven and bake for about 3 hours.
- 3At the 3 hour mark, remove ham from oven (save foil if possible, you will need it again). Drain off all the juices into a metal or heat resistant plastic bowl, and set aside.
- 4In a separate bowl, mix pineapple (strain pineapple juice out of 1 of the cans, save one can of pineapple juice for mixture), brown sugar, and spicy brown mustard. Whisk all ingredients together until mustard is mixed well. Add 3 cups of the juices from ham (if you own an oil separator it comes in handy here), mix well. Taste the mixture to see if it needs more brown sugar or more spicy brown mustard. You want the mixture to be sweet and tart. Pour the mixture over the ham, place ham back in oven and let cook another hour or 2. If you want the pineapple sauce to be like gravy then you could add some corn starch to thicken it up. I just leave it as is.
- 5Once ham is done, remove from oven and place on a platter or serving tray. Use a slotted spoon to remove all the pineapple into a serving bowl then ladle some of the juice over the pineapple to serve with the ham.
- 6This ham is great with your favorite Thanksgiving dressing, cranberry sauce and baked sweet potato souffle' or any time.
I bake this ham for Easter dinner with Au Gratin/Scalloped Cheesy Potatoes, Garlic Green Beans and Rolls. My family loves it.