Awesome Croque Monsieur
3 Tbspbutter, melted
3 Tbspall purpose flour
2 cmilk, hot
2 tspmustard, yellow or dijon
1 tsphot sauce, or to taste
1 tspkosher salt
1/2 tspblack pepper
5 cgruyere cheese, grated
1/2 cparmesan cheese, freshly grated
8 slicehoney ham, sliced but not too thin
How to Make Awesome Croque Monsieur
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt the butter over low heat in small sauce pan and add the flour all at once, stirring with a wooden spoon for two minutes.
- Slowly pour the hot milk, mustard and hot sauce into the butter/flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thickened.
- Off the heat, add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese and the Parmesan and set aside.
- Halve and toast the Croissants, place the slices on 2 baking sheets and bake for 4 minutes. Turn each slice and bake for another 2 minutes until toasted
- Lightly brush half the croissant with mustard, add a slice of ham to each and sprinkle with half the remaining Gruyere. Top with another piece of toasted Croissant. Slather the tops with the cheese sauce, sprinkle with the remaining Gruyere and bake the sandwiches for 5 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler an broil for 3-5 minutes, or until the topping is bubbly and slightly browned.
*** You can also use any type of bread as a substitute for the croissant.
*** Serve with an egg dish, a fruit platter and a mimosa or orange juice and you have a beautiful and elegant brunch.