Alsatian Rib-Sticking Pork Chop Casserole
- 6 slice
- loin pork chops, 1-inch thick
- 4 large
- boiling potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium
- onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- black pepper
- 1 tsp
- caraway seeds
- 3/4 c
- dry (not sweet) white wine
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh parsley, chopped
How to Make Alsatian Rib-Sticking Pork Chop Casserole
- 1Pre-heat oven to 300º.
- 2Fry 2 slices of the bacon in a large skillet until crisp; crumble and reserve. Trim excess fat from chops; brown in bacon drippings.
- 3Arrange half of the potatoes in a single layer in a deep baking dish or Dutch oven with lid, preferably earthenware or enameled cast iron. Top with half the onions; sprinkle with half the salt and pepper.
- 4Place chops over onions, overlapping if necessary, to form a single layer. Repeat with remaining potatoes and onions, salt and pepper. Crush caraway seeds; sprinkle over baking dish along with wine and garlic. Place remaing bacon over top. Cover with a double thickness of foil, then with lid.
- 5Roast in slow oven (300º)2 and 1/2 hours, or until meat and potatoes are tender.
Discard bacon; skim off fat, if necessary. Sprinkle with parsley and crumbled bacon. Good!