Stovetop Skillet Pizza
1 call-purpose flour
3/4 tspbaking powder
1 tsp(heaping) dried yeast
1 tsphoney or white sugar
2/3 clukewarm water
somepizza sauce (whatever you like or homemade)
somepizza toppings (your choice)
someshredded mozzarella cheese (again, your choice)
How to Make Stovetop Skillet Pizza
- Find a medium-sized deeper skillet with a lid. (Any other size may change the cooking time, but just watch carefully. It's all good.) Mist it well with cooking spray.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, yeast, and sugar (if using) to the skillet. Stir together.
- Pour in lukewarm water (warm like "baby bath water") and honey, if you're using that instead of the sugar. Stir together, then spread over the bottom of the skillet.
- Top crust dough with sauce, toppings, and cheese.
- Put the skillet on the stove & cover with a lid. Turn the heat to MEDIUM and the timer to 5 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, tilt the lid a little to vent, turn the heat down to MEDIUM-LOW, and set the timer for 10 minutes.
- At this point, lift the bottom edge of the pizza to look at the crust. If you have a gas stove, it might be browned enough for your liking. If you have an electric stove, you might need more time. Serve or cover (but still vent) and reset the timer.
Just a suggestion... When you figure out what times & settings work best for your stove, note them down for next time. (My old electric stove takes 5 minutes on MEDIUM, then about 13 minutes on one notch lower than MEDIUM.) =^..^=
- Once the bottom of the crust meets with your approval, loosen the sides of the pizza, if necessary, and slide it out of the skillet and onto a cutting board. Slice & serve!