☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 1/3 csmall elbow macaroni
1 slicewhole wheat bread
2 Tbspall-purpose flour
3/4 clow-fat milk
3/4 ccanned vegetable broth, or chicken broth
2green onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cgrated sharp cheddar cheese, packed
How to Make Wisconsin Mac and Cheese
- Cook macaroni in medium saucepan of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain.
- Meanwhile, grind bread in processor to fine crumbs; transfer to small bowl.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan. Mix 1/2 tablespoon into crumbs.
- Add flour to remaining butter; whisk over medium heat 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in milk and broth. Bring to boil, whisking constantly.
- Add green onions. Whisk 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Add cheese; stir until melted.
- Preheat broiler.
- Mix macaroni into sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle crumbs over.
- Broil until crumbs brown, about 2 minutes, and serve.