Tunna Noodle Casserole from Scratch
So, I decided after many years had past since my last casserole...I started looking around for something better. My new mother-in-law made a mean tunna casseole,that was wonderful. But I wanted something just as good, but with out the canned soup.
This is a wonderful casserol. Very tasty and good warmed up with a little milk added.
- 1/2 c
- butter, divided - into tablespoons
- 1 pkg
- (8 oz) uncooked egg noodles, i made my own egg noodles and used 1/2 a batch.
- 1/2 medium
- finely chopped onion
- stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- 8 oz
- mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 c
- 2 c
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 can(s)
- tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 c
- frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 c
- cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 Tbsp
- bread crumbs ( i used panko)
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, melted
- 1 c
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c
- parmesan cheese, grated
How to Make Tunna Noodle Casserole from Scratch
- 1Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
Butter a medium baking dish.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil and add egg noodles and cook (8 to 10 min), until done, and drain. Homemade noodles take less time to boil.
I usually add a little butter and toss, to the drained noodles, to keep them from sticking.
- 2Melt 1 or 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over med-low heat.
Stir in the onion, celery and garlic. Cook 5 minutes, until tender.
Increase temp to med-high, add mushrooms. Mix and continue to cook and stir for 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated. (I used canned, sliced mushrooms, drained.)
- 3Melt 4 tablespoons in a medium saucepan and whisk in flour until smooth.
Gradually whisk in milk and continue cooking for 5 minutes, until sauce is smooth and slightly thickened.
Season with salt and pepper.
Stir in tuna, peas, mushroom mixture, cream cheese and cooked noodles into buttered dish and add sauce.
Toss all together.
You can add the parmesan to this step or add on top of casserole.
- 4Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl, mix with bread crumbs.
Top with cheese.
- 5Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly browned.