Tomato Sauce with Double Basil
·3 tbsp. olive oil
·2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
·1 shallot, finely chopped
·1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
·1 lb. ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped or 1 can plum tomatoes, 14.5 oz
·12 oz. dried pasta, such as spaghetti or linguine
·sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
·freshly grated parmesan cheese
How to Make Tomato Sauce with Double Basil
- Heat oil in pan and add garlic, shallot and half the basil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes til shallot is golden.
- Add tomatoes and cook stirring for 10 minutes til thickened and pulpy. add sugar, 1/3 cu water and salt and pepper to taste
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer very gently for 1 hour til dark red and thickened, with droplets of oil on the surface.
- Bring large pan of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions, about 8 minutes.
- Drain and return pasta to hot pan. Tear remaining basil into tomato sauce and add sauce to pasta. Toss well, then serve topped with Parmesan cheese.