Kathy's Tomato Basil Sauce
Roma tomatoes are best to use. You can use regular tomatoes, just increase the amount to 4 pounds. They make more juice, so increase your time to reduce the sauce as well.
It is a very versatile sauce. It makes pretty good chili! (Grabbed a bag out of the freezer, thawed and in the pot before I realized what I had done. LOL)
How to Make Kathy's Tomato Basil Sauce
- Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and saute until transluscent - do not burn.
- Add chopped tomatoes, juice, sugar, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and continue to gently boil until reduced - about 20 minutes.
- Drizzle in a little more of the olive oil until the sauce has a sheen. (a couple of tablespoons or so)
- Serve over pasta of your choice.