THE ULTIMATE PASTA POTLUCK SALAD
Photo from free site, recipe by a cook named Nancy.
- ounces wagon wheel macaroni or desired pasta (1 1/3 cups)
- ounces tri-colored corkscrew macaroni or desired pasta
- teaspoon crushed dried red pepper
- medium red sweet bell pepper
- medium yellow squash or zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 10 ounce package frozen peas thawed
- 6 ounce can pitted black olives, drained
- ounces smoked cheddar cheese, cubed
- cup unblanched whole almonds, toasted
- cup sliced green onions
- tablespoons snipped fresh tarragon, oregano or dill (i use tarragon)
- 8 ounce bottle regular or fat free italian dressing. i use fat free caesar dressing
How to Make THE ULTIMATE PASTA POTLUCK SALAD
- 1Cook the pasta according to package directions except add crushed red pepper to the cooking water. Rinse with cool water and drain thoroughly. Cool pasta to room temperature.
- 2In a large mixing bowl combine pasta, sweet pepper, yellow squash or zucchini, peas, olives, cheese, almonds, green onions, and tarragon.
- 3Add dressing to pasta mixture; toss gently to mix. Cover and chill at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- 4Cook's tip: Be sure not to substitute the smoked cheddar cheese; it is crucial to the flavor of the dish. Optional: Add chopped avocado just before serving. Enjoy!