Super Easy Working Mom's Manicotti
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This dish was so simple to prepare... gotta love that! You could also easily prepare it in advance then pop it into the oven for the final cooking when you are ready to serve it. Michelle mentions that it freezes well too, which makes it even better. We didn't have a morsel leftover, so I'll have to take her word for it! Great idea for those unexpected visitors. The Test Kitchen
8 ozmanicotti, uncooked about 14 pieces
26 ozspaghetti sauce, approx. 3 cups
15 ozricotta cheese
8 ozmozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cparmesan cheese, grated (we prefer the three cheese blend of asiagio,parm and romano)
1/2 Tbspparsley, chopped fresh
1/4 tspground black pepper
1 lbitalian sausage (can sub assorted veggies for sausage if desired such as peppers, zucchini, aubergine, etc)
7 ozcan mushrooms, sliced and drained
1 pinchgarlic, to taste
1 tspitalian seasoning
1 pinchsalt, to taste
1 pinchpepper, to taste
How to Make Super Easy Working Mom's Manicotti
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Cook thoroughly sausage and mushrooms (or saute assorted veggies if making veggie version) with garlic,italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- In saucepan, combine spaghetti sauce and water; heat to boiling, stirring frequently.
- Add sausage and mushrooms to sauce. Reduce heat; keep warm.
- In bowl, stir together cheeses, parsley, egg, salt and pepper; spoon into uncooked pasta tubes.
- Pour 1 cup sauce on bottom of 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish; arrange filled pasta in single layer over sauce.
- Pour remaining sauce over pasta; sprinkle with cheese if desired and cover with foil.
- Bake 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
- Serve -pasta and filling will be HOT!
- To make ahead and freeze:
- MAKE AHEAD DIRECTIONS: Prepare as directed above; cool 30 minutes.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap; then foil.
- Freeze up to 2 months.
- Thaw in refrigerator overnight (casserole is too dry if heated from frozen state)May want to add a small amount of additional moisture- water or sauce.
- Bake at 350°F 60 minutes or until hot and bubbly.