28 ozcan whole peeled tomatoes
4 clovegarlic minced
3 Tbspolive oil
1 cparmigiano-reggiano shredded plus more
How to Make Spaghetti Pomodoro
- Place a large pot of water on stove. Once the water starts to steam add the 3 tbsp. of salt. Bring to a boil. Add the spaghetti once you have your sauce started.
- Open the can of tomatoes and dump into a fine mesh strainer over a bowl. Poke and squeeze the tomatoes in the colander. Push the tomatoes into the fine mesh strainer then set the solids aside. Set the juices aside.
- Heat the 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Add the garlic and saute until aromatic about 3 minutes. Add the tomato solids and cook until the tomatoes are darkened in color, browned and caramelized. This takes about 6 to 8 minutes. Mash the tomatoes to form a paste. Add a pinch of salt. Add the tomato juice and the 3 basil sprigs. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce is reduced and looks like applesauce. Remove the basil sprigs
- When the spaghetti is almost done scoop out about 1 cup of pasta water. Set aside. With tongs transfer the spaghetti to the sauce. Do not drain. Turn heat up and add about 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water. Cook the pasta in the sauce until the sauce clings to all the pieces of spaghetti. Add the Parmigiano and lower the heat and cook until the cheese is melted. Turn the heat off and stir in the butter until glossy.
- Serve topped with Parmesan and basil leaves