Saucy Shrimp or Chicken Orzo by Maggie
Experiment with the protein or just leave it out if you want !
We prefer spinach but Kale is also a great green to use in this recipe.
It's easy to make and tastes great.
Serve it with some crusty sour dough and or a salad and you have a great meal !
2 ccooked orzo
1 cthinly sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cdiced onion or shallots
3 clovegarlic choped fine
1 ccooked shrimp or chicken - cut into bite size pieces - baked or grilled taste best
1 tspdill weed
1-3/4 cchicken stock or broth
1/2 - 3/4 cfreshly grated parmigiano reggiano - amount to your taste preference
3 cspinich - baby is preferred - slice into strips (or kale if you prefer)
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Saucy Shrimp or Chicken Orzo by Maggie
- Cook your orzo before you begin the remainder of the dish. Orzo will almost triple in size when cooked so bear that in mind.
- Melt the butter in a 2 qt pot over medium heat.
Add mushrooms and cook until they just begin to brown. Add the onions and cook until they are just tender stirring often.
Add the garlic and chicken or shrimp and simmer for about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle flour and dill weed over mushroom mixture and stir for about 1 minute.
Gradually whisk in your chicken broth, and cook, stirring, until all of the flour mixture is blended and it begins to thicken slightly.
- Stir in the milk and the freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, and cook stirring constantly until the cheese has melted in and all has gotten slightly thick.
- Add the cooked Orzo and the spinach strips and stir until the spinach has wilted - about 3 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the spinach - it should have a nice bright green color.
- Serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon and an extra bit of cheese on top if desired.
Add salt and pepper to taste.