RED ONION PASTA WITH SPINACH
- box of spaghetti, enough for four people
- package frozen spinach
- water and salt for pasta
- tablespoon olive oil for frying
- medium purple onions, thin wedge sliced
- tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- tablespoon of butter
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- chopped green onions for garnish
- add one can deveined shrimp, draining water into spaghetti water
- red pepper sliced thin
- lime wedges
How to Make RED ONION PASTA WITH SPINACH
- 1MAKE THE PASTA:
Boil the water for the pasta, adding salt for taste. Add the frozen spinach to the pasta water about 5 minutes before it is done. When the pasta is done, drain but don't rinse.
- 2PREPARE INGREDIENTS:
While the pasta is boiling, if you wish (because this is optional) , you can drain the water from a can of medium, deveined shrimp into the spaghetti water. Set the shrimp aside.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil (about a tablespoon) Place the onion wedges into the olive oil and fry until almost tender, add the balsamic vinegar, garlic and thyme and cook 3 minutes more. Add the cooked, drained pasta, and if you are using shrimp, add it now, toss, drizzle with a little olive oil, pepper and fresh grated parmesan cheese. Garnish with a little chopped green onion. I like a squeeze of a lemon or lime wedge.
- 3Cook's Tip: This is a basic recipe for a quick side dish, one that can easily become a main dish. You can add other ingredients if you wish. I like olives and peppers. I would suggest you try the recipe as written, first, and then experiment the next time you make it. From this basic dish, you can create many versions of your own making, adding shrimp or chicken. Enjoy!