Real Home Made Spaghetti Sauce - Olive's Best
This sauce was used for spaghetti, lasagna, and pizza.
A big thanks to Olive Plaia for this recipe.
- 1 lb
- bulk italian sausage
- 1 lb
- lean ground beef
- 2-3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- bay leaf
- 1-2 Tbsp
- oregano, dried
- 1 Tbsp
- italian seasoniong
- 1 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- beef bouillon cubes
- 2-3 qt
- home canned tomatoes, or equivalent store bought canned whole tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp
- dreid red pepper flakes, optional
How to Make Real Home Made Spaghetti Sauce - Olive's Best
- 1Brown sausage and beef in a large skillet. Add garlic and onion. Cook until onion is tender. Drain excess grease.
Add all remaining ingredients and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for a couple of hours, stirring occasionally.
Do not add much salt at the beginning of the process as it loses flavor but will still add to your sodium intake.
- 2You may add more tomatoes or tomato juice if mixture begins to thicken too much. Do your final seasoning about 15-20 minutes before cooking is complete.
- 3The traditional Italian way of cooking this sauce was to simmer for at least 2 hours but 3 or 4 hours was preferred.
Leftover sauce was kept refrigerated and added to(meat balls, ground cooked meats, more vegetables, onions, etc.) as the week progressed. When the sauce ran low and thick it was used for pizza sauce.