PENNE ALLA NAPOLITANA
Even better, if you purchase some of the ingredients in 'convenience' form (minced garlic, sliced olives, pre-shredded cheese), this meal can go from pantry to dinner table in less than 30 minutes!!
- 12 oz
- penne pasta
- 4 Tbsp
- olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped garlic
- 1 c
- sliced or chopped black olives
- 1 Tbsp
- dried basil
- 1 tsp
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 c
- tomato sauce
- 1/2 c
- grated parmesan
- 1/2 c
- shredded mozzarella
How to Make PENNE ALLA NAPOLITANA
- 1Drop penne in boiling, salted water. Return to boil & boil gently for 8-10 mins. (for 'al dente'), or to desired tenderness. Drain; toss with 1 T. of the olive oil. Return to pan & keep warm.
- 2Saute garlic slowly in remaining 3 T. of olive oil in large skillet until soft, but not brown.
(NOTE: To speed prep time, I typically start this step as pasta is cooking on another burner!)
- 3Add sliced/chopped olives, basil, red pepper flakes, & tomato sauce. Stir & heat to simmering.
(NOTE: The olive oil will separate & form a 'ring' around pan's edge ... don't worry, this is normal! The oil will incorporate in the next step.)
- 5Pour over warm pasta & serve!