Pasta with Asparagus and Mushroom Sauce
I also make it with snow peas cut into 2" pieces instead of the asparagus. (Don't bother steaming them; add them straight into the sauce and use 1 1/4 cups broth for the liquid.) Add them after you saute the mushrooms.
1 lbpenne pasta
1 1/2 lbasparagus, washed, tough ends snapped of, cut into 1 1/2" pieces
1 lbmushrooms, sliced thin
1/4 colive oil
4 largeshallots, thinly sliced
·salt and pepper to taste
pinchcayenne - optional
·a little white wine - optional
How to Make Pasta with Asparagus and Mushroom Sauce
- Place asparagus in a medium sized bowl, add 2/3 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap and steam on high in the microwave for 5 minutes. Reserve the liquid, adding enough white wine to make 1 1/4 cups. (Or add water to make a 1 1/4 cups)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, Add the shallots and saute, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add mushrooms, increase the heat to medium high and saute until they soften and release thier juices, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add cayenne if desired.
- Add asparagus and reserved liquid. Simmer until asparagus is heated through and sauce has reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. Check seasoning.
- Note: If you like a thicker sauce, thicken with 1 T corn starch mixed with 1/4 cup water. Stir about half into sauce, bring to a boil to thicken. Add the rest if needed.
- Add sauce to pasta and serve.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese.