Pasta with Asparagus and Mushroom Sauce
I also make it with snow peas cut into 2" pieces instead of the asparagus. (Don't bother steaming them; add them straight into the sauce and use 1 1/4 cups broth for the liquid.) Add them after you saute the mushrooms.
- 1 lb
- penne pasta
- 1 1/2 lb
- asparagus, washed, tough ends snapped of, cut into 1 1/2" pieces
- 1 lb
- mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- 4 large
- shallots, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- cayenne - optional
- a little white wine - optional
- parmesan cheese
How to Make Pasta with Asparagus and Mushroom Sauce
- 1Place asparagus in a medium sized bowl, add 2/3 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap and steam on high in the microwave for 5 minutes. Reserve the liquid, adding enough white wine to make 1 1/4 cups. (Or add water to make a 1 1/4 cups)
- 2Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
- 3Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, Add the shallots and saute, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- 4Add mushrooms, increase the heat to medium high and saute until they soften and release thier juices, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add cayenne if desired.
- 5Add asparagus and reserved liquid. Simmer until asparagus is heated through and sauce has reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. Check seasoning.
- 6Note: If you like a thicker sauce, thicken with 1 T corn starch mixed with 1/4 cup water. Stir about half into sauce, bring to a boil to thicken. Add the rest if needed.
- 7Add sauce to pasta and serve.
- 8Garnish with parmesan cheese.