Anyway, my mom calls Pasta Fagioli, "Pasta Fazoo" and I think it's rather sweet. It's the closest thing to Eye-talian I will ever hear her pronounce.
I was visiting my dad and step-mother last February and even though they live in the desert, and very close to Mexico (you'd think it would be warm there, right?) it was FREEZING cold. Definitely soup weather. My step-mother made Pasta Fagioli and it was very good. I asked her for the recipe and decided to make it for myself just last night. I LOVE the changes I made and I am going to post the recipe here. It's not a traditional Pasta Fagioli anymore because I added zucchini and Eye-talian sausage, but it tasted so good to me that I ate THREE bowls full! I am going to call my creation, "Pasta Fazoo". Enjoy!
- 1/3 c
- olive oil, extra virgin
- mild italian sausages, casings removed (you can use spicy sausages if you like, or add crushed red pepper flakes too)
- 1 large
- yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large
- carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large
- celery stalks, thinly sliced
- zucchini, quartered and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2 can(s)
- (1 lb) cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
- 1 can(s)
- (1 lb) plain chopped tomatoes (preferably cento or any other san marzano tomatoes)
- 3 c
- chicken broth
- 4 c
- 1 c
- tubetti pasta (small salad macaroni)
- 1 tsp
- rosemary (fresh or dried) chopped
- 1/2 tsp
- dried oregano
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- italian parsley, chopped
- freshly grated parmesan to taste (plus the rind! - get a slice, grind your own and add the rind to the soup for flavor)
How to Make Pasta Fazoo!
- 1Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add sausage and saute until no longer pink, breaking up sausage as it cooks.
- 2Add the onions, carrots, celery, zucchini and garlic and cook over low heat until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- 3Stir in the beans and tomatoes. Add the broth and water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 4Add the pasta, rosemary, oregano, salt and pepper and Parmesan rind. Lower the heat and cook gently, partially covered, until the pasta is cooked, about 15 - 20 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Serve immediately! (don't eat the rind....it's just for fantastic flavor).