Note: As in many carbonara recipes, the heat of the pasta in this one cooks the eggs, but not fully. It may be best for children, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems to avoid eating this dish.
- 12 oz
- linguine noodles
- 3 large
- egg yolks
- 1/2 c
- grated parmesan or romano cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 6 oz
- (7 slices) bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
How to Make Pasta Carbonara
- 1Cook the pasta according to package directions; drain pasta, reserving 3/4 of the cooking water.
- 2Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, Parmesan/Romano and 1/4 teaspoons of the salt and pepper; gradually whisk in 1/4 cup of the warm reserved cooking water.
- 3Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 6 to 8 minutes; add the pasta to the skillet and toss to coat.
- 4Transfer the pasta and bacon to the bowl with egg mixture and toss until the noodles are coated (if the mixture seems dry, stir in additional reserved pasta water 2 tablespoons at a time).
- 5Serve immediately and sprinkle with additional Parmesan/Romano and pepper, if desired.