One-Pot Spicy Beef Mushroom Green Chile 'Goulash'
I like to build flavor, plus
we like 'heat', which is easy to adjust to your tastes. Just don't be tempted to add extra pasta, it's meant to be 'saucy'.
The 'star' ingredient are good green chilies from Hatch, New Mexico for full flavor. I order mine online, but sometimes get lucky & find the real thing, certain times of the year, in our grocer's freezer section. Plus, we have family in New Mexico!
- 13 1/4 oz
- whole grain elbows pasta, box, dry
- 3 lb
- ground chuck
- 1 1/2 c
- sweet onion, chopped
- green bell pepper, chopped
- bags sliced mushrooms (approx. 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 c
- fresh corn, off the cob
- garlic cloves, grated
- 1/4-1/2 c
- roasted green chilies, diced (available in your grocer's freezer section and available online)
- 14 oz
- can diced tomatoes
- 16 oz
- can tomato sauce
- 10 oz
- can rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies, medium heat
- 2 10 oz
- cans cream of tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/3 c
- 1-2 Tbsp
- 1/4-1/2 c
- good red wine (cabernet, merlot or blend)
- your favorite taco meat spices
- kosher salt, fresh ground pepper & red chili pepper flakes(opt.)
- canola oil & extra virgin olive oil
How to Make One-Pot Spicy Beef Mushroom Green Chile 'Goulash'
- 1In a 6 -9 qt. enameled cast-iron dutch oven, cook elbow pasta in salted water, al dente.
Drain pasta in colander & set aside in a bowl.
- 2In same dutch oven, heat 2 T. canola oil & 2 T. extra virgin olive oil on medium heat & saute onion for 2 min.,add bell pepper, saute for 4 min. with onion, then add mushrooms to pot & cook, for several minutes, till mushrooms have released their liquid and then the liquid has cooked down, add red wine & allow the liquid to reduce down. Add the grated (or minced) garlic & green chilies and cook for another minute. Add corn & cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Remove the mushroom & green chili mixture from pot & set aside.
- 3In same pot, brown ground beef with salt, pepper, favorite taco meat spices & red chili pepper flakes (opt.), drain fat from beef.
Add the mushroom & green chili mixture, pour in the canned diced tomatoes,the tomato sauce, add the can of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies, the cream of tomato soups, sugar & ketchup. Stir until combined.
Simmer beef mixture for several minutes, tasting for seasoning. Add the cooked elbow pasta, stir, & serve!