Old Fashioned Mac and Cheese
- block cheese, 8 ounces, grated, (cheddar or colby)
- 1 can(s)
- evaporated milk (regular size - not small)
- eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 pkg
- elbow macaroni (1 pound)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 c
- finely crushed soda cracker crumbs or crumbs from toasted bread
How to Make Old Fashioned Mac and Cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook and drain macaroni. Heat milk, eggs, butter, and cheese in a small saucepan until cheese is melted. Stir together macaroni, cheese mixture and salt and pepper. Pour into a buttered casserole and bake for 20-30 minutes until just beginning to brown.
- 2Optional: Grandma often added some finely crushed soda crackers on top of casserole during the last 10 minutes of baking to give the dish a little crunch.