old fashion Mac & cheese
- 2 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- 2 tsp
- worcestershire sauce
- 2 c
- 1 lb
- elbow macaroni, cooked al danté
- 2 to 3 c
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 small
- onion, sliced
- green onion, chopped
- 2 oz
- paprika, smoked
- salt and pepper
How to Make old fashion Mac & cheese
- 1Before you start make sure everything is ready & close at hand. Once you start the sauce you can not walk away from the stove.
- 2In a saucepan (a heavy-bottomed pan works the best), melt the butter over moderate heat.
- 3Add the all-purpose flour. While stirring for 2 to 3 minutes, the mixture (roux) should bubble and foam. The color should gradually darken. A light yellow to golden yellow color is desirable for white sauce. It is important that the flour not burn, but it should be cooked thoroughly so that the resulting sauce will not attain a pasty, floury flavor.
- 4After the roux has reached the correct doneness, Whisk Worcestershire & milk into the roux. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and continue stirring until the sauce becomes smooth.
- 5When the sauce is thick, stir in the cheese(hold some cheese back) & season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Mix sauce & pasta together pour in a 13x9-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle a cheese layer on top, add a layer of onions & dust with paprika.
- 7Bake at 375°F uncovered until the top is golden brown and bubbly. Enjoy!