- sticks of butter (i use even more!)
- large heads of cabbage or 2 small
- bag of egg noodles, kluski, or make your own noodles
- hungarian paprika, salt, ground black pepper, whole peppercorns (european, if you can find); caraway seeds
How to Make Mertzie's Haluski
- 1Dice in the onion (not real fine) and separately chop the cabbage. Set aside.
- 2Get your cooking water for the noodles boiling with some whole peppercorns (about 6-10).
- 3Melt 1 stick of butter in large skillet. Make sure the butter gets frothy & golden. This is gonna give it amazing flavor.
- 4Add the onions & start getting them to a golden color & tender. Salt & add some Hungarian paprika to the onions. Then, add the cabbage some caraway seeds, & stir and cook through the cabbage.
- 5Cook the noodles according to directions (don't overcook -- keep them on the firm side). When the noodles are done, take a few spoonfuls of the noodle water & mix in with the onions & cabbage to bind it all together nicely.
- 6Drain the noodles & add the other stick of butter to the noodle pot. It will start melting because the pot is still hot. Add the noodles & stir. If you didn't use peppercorns, add a generous amount of fresh ground black pepper.
- 7Mix all together. I like to transfer this to the crockpot then & keep on warm, or you can it immediately. I just find warming it all together for a little bit of time after mixing brings out the flavors. I do add more butter. :)