My Best Macaroni and Cheese
1 lbelbow macaroni, cooked
1 lbshredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cseasoned bread crumbs(to be used for topping)
2 Tbspmelted butter(to be used for topping)
How to Make My Best Macaroni and Cheese
- Melt butter over low heat in a pot that will hold at least 3 qts.
- Stir flour,salt and pepper into the melted butter with a whisk, continue whisking until the mixture gets bubbly,let it bubble for one full minute (otherwise it may taste a bit floury*) while whisking and being sure NOT to let the mixture brown.
- Stir in milk with whisk and continue whisking it until it comes to a boil(you can raise the heat a bit to hasten the boiling but be sure to keep whisking it and not allowing it to burn/brown on the bottom of the pot). Let this mixture boil for 3 minutes while whisking(again..just so it isn't floury and the full flavor comes through)
- Stir in shredded cheese and stir until fully melted.
- Put macaroni in large oven proof bowl and stir in cheese sauce.
- Mix bread crumbs and the 2tbsp melted butter and sprinkle over the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes until it is bubbly around the edge usually.
- *You can add 1-2tsp dry mustard when you add the flour if you want to kick the flavor up a notch. Add ins are endless...ham,bacon,stewed tomatoes,broccoli,etc. I use yellow cheddar but white cheddar makes a smoother sauce. This recipe can easily be halved if you are not feeding a crowd :o). Lately to cut calories/fat I just sprinkle the top with the seasoned bread crumbs and NO butter...just as tasty!