Muenster & Cheddar Mac & Cheese
*For the cheese, I used solid 1-pound blocks from the local deli, cubed them up and shredded them up at home in the food processor, but you can use prepackaged cheese if you like.
1 (16 oz.) pkgelbow macaroni
5 Tbspbutter or margarine
5 Tbspall-purpose flour
2 Tbspspicy brown mustard
2 Tbspworcestershire sauce
3 cshredded cheddar cheese, divided
3 cshredded muenster cheese, divided
1 critz cracker crumbs (for topping; optional)
How to Make Muenster & Cheddar Mac & Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat; add macaroni and cook until tender, about 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, heat butter or margarine over medium-high heat until foaming; add flour, mustard and Worcestershire sauce; whisk well to combine; continue whisking until mixture becomes fragrant and deepens in color, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk; bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly (make sure it comes to a full boil, so it'll thicken); reduce heat to medium and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened to consistency of heavy cream, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; whisk in two cups of each of the cheeses until fully melted; add pasta and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is steaming and heated through, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer to a 9 X 13-inch baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray; sprinkle with 1 cup of shredded Cheddar and 1 cup of Muenster cheese; top with cracker crumbs.
- Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes, until a deep golden brown and bubbling.